The Poultry Science Association (PSA) is holding its 2012 annual meeting this week in Athens, Georgia, USA. At the meeting it will recognize the winners of almost two dozen honours and awards, as well as announcing the new PSA fellows.
The announcements will take place at the annual PSA Awards Banquet on Thursday night.
The annual meeting, PSA’s 101st, is being hosted by the Department of Poultry Science at the University of Georgia, which traces its roots back to 1912, when it hired its first poultry scientist, Mr. Leroy Jones, to teach poultry production.
“We are delighted to be back in Athens for this year’s annual meeting,” said outgoing PSA President Dr. Michael Wineland, a professor of poultry science at North Carolina State University. “As always, our friends at the University of Georgia have been wonderful hosts and have helped make this an enjoyable and informative gathering for all attendees.”
More than 850 members of PSA were expected to attend this week’s meeting, which features 11 symposia, along with 267 oral and 209 poster presentations. A complete program guide to the meeting is available here.
New PSA Fellows
“According to PSA’s constitution and by-laws, no more than five PSA members may be named Fellows at any given annual meeting. This year we will be naming three outstanding scientists as Fellows,” said Dr. Wineland.
The title of ‘Fellow’ is awarded “for professional distinction and contributions to the field of poultry science without regard to longevity.” This year’s new PSA Fellows are:
- Vern L. Christensen, PhD (North Carolina State University)
- Wayne J. Kuenzel, PhD (University of Arkansas)
- Lawrence M. Potter, PhD (Virginia Tech University)
Other Honors and Award Winners
PSA also uses its annual banquet to recognize other significant contributions to poultry science and the poultry industry. This year’s recipients are as follows:
- American Egg Board Research Award – Darin C. Bennett, PhD (University of British Columbia)
- American Feed Industry Association Poultry Nutrition Research Award – William A. Dozier, III, PhD (Auburn University)
- American Poultry Historical Society Award – Greg F. Mathis, PhD (Southern Poultry Research, Inc.)
- Embrex Fundamental Science Award – Tom E. Porter, PhD (University of Maryland)
- Evonik Degussa Award for Achievement in Poultry Science – Hans H. Cheng, PhD (USDA/ARS Avian Disease and Oncology Laboratory – East Lansing, MI)
- The Frank Perdue Live Poultry Food Safety Award – R. Jeff Buhr (USDA/ARS Russell Research Center – Athens, GA)
- Hy-Line International Research Award – Ramesh Selvaraj, PhD (The Ohio State University)
- Merial Distinguished Poultry Industry Career Award – Henry M. Engster, PhD (Perdue Farms, Inc.)
- National Chicken Council Broiler Research Award – Olayiwola Adeola, PhD (Purdue University)
- National Turkey Federation Research Award – Kent M. Reed, PhD (University of Minnesota)
- Novus International Teaching Award – Christopher D. McDaniel, PhD (Mississippi State University)
- Phibro Extension Award – Morgan B. Farnell, PhD (Texas A&M University)
- Poultry Welfare Research Award – Kenneth E. Anderson, PhD (North Carolina State University)
- PSA Early Achievement Award for Extension – Brigid A. McCrea, PhD, (Delaware State University)
- PSA Early Achievement Award for Industry – Hilary O. Pavlidis, PhD (Cobb Vantress, Inc.)
- PSA Early Achievement Award for Research – Kristen J. Navara, PhD (University of Georgia)
- PSA Early Achievement Award for Teaching – Jacquelyn B. Golden, PhD (North Carolina State University)
- Tyson Foods Support Personnel Award – Dale T. Hyatt (Texas A&M University)
- PSA Honorary Membership – Abit Massey (Georgia Poultry Federation)
- Alltech Student Research Manuscript Award – Samuel J. Rochell (Auburn University)
- Maurice Stein Fellowship Award – Laura J. Bauermeister (Auburn University)
- Jones-Hamilton Co. Graduate Student Travel Grant Award – Farid Saber Nassar, Cairo University; Alamanda Calvert, University of Minnesota; Manuel Joao Goncalves Da Costa, North Carolina State University
Winners of the following student awards will be announced at the banquet:
- Aviagen Turkeys Communications Award – TBA at the Banquet
- Student Research Certificates of Excellence – TBA at the Banquet
- Student Research Certificates of Participation – TBA at the Banquet
PSA Meeting in 2013
PSA will hold next year’s annual meeting on July 21-25 at the Town and Country Resort and Convention Center in San Diego, California.
The Poultry Science Association (PSA) is a global scientific society dedicated to the discovery and dissemination of knowledge generated by poultry research – knowledge that enhances human and animal health and well-being, and provides for the ethical, sustainable, and economical production of food. Founded in 1908, PSA has a global membership of about 1,300.
For more information, go to PSA.