APEC ministers settle action plan on bird flu
Ministers from the Asian-Pacific Economic
Co-operation (APEC) forum have adopted an Action Plan that will strengthen the
ability of member economies to detect and respond to outbreaks of Avian
Influenza in the Asia-Pacific.
At the conclusion of the APEC Ministerial Meeting on
Avian and Influenza Pandemics in Da Nang on May 5, ministers endorsed the "APEC
Action Plan on the Prevention and Response to Avian and Influenza
The action plan covers five specific areas:
- Multi-sectoral co-operation and co-ordination on
avian and pandemic influenza;
- Establishing best practices and common approaches to
- Mitigating negative effects of avian influenza on
agriculture and trade;
- Working with the private sector to help ensure
continuity of business, trade and essential services, and
- Strengthening regional and international co-operation.
Ministers agreed to the Action Plan that creates new
avenues for each APEC Member to work with colleagues in other economies and at
the domestic level to overcome the Avian Influenza threat, he
The full text of the action plan can be found in this article
To comment, login here
Or register to be able to comment.