On 5 November, Japan’s Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries confirmed that on 4 November, highly pathogenic avian influenza (HPAI) had been detected in a commercial layer flock in Mitoyo City, Kagawa. This resulted in the culling of about 330,000 chickens.
This marks the first detection of HPAI in the commercial chicken population since January 2018 when HPAI was detected on a commercial operation in Sanuki City, Kagawa.
In 2019, Kagawa accounted for 3% of Japan’s layer population and 2% of the broiler population. Japan’s total chicken population was estimated at 323 million (138 million broilers, 185 million layers), according to a USDA report.
Domestic production accounts for around 62% of Japan’s chicken supply with the remaining 38% comprised of imports primarily from Brazil and Thailand.
In the meantime, the avian influenza situation in North Western Europe is developing, too. Click here for Poultry World’s interactive map…