One of the UK’s largest poultry businesses, 2 Sisters, has published an updated Animal Welfare Strategy to demonstrate its ongoing commitment to higher standards.
2 Sisters Food Group, the trading name for Boparan Holdings Ltd, is involved with 380 chicken farms producing 6.2 million birds per week for its food business customers. Of these, 63% of the chickens are grown on company owned farms with the remaining 37% grown by contract growers to supply farms.
In a wide-ranging strategy, the company said:
At present, of the company’s birds:
The company said it was listening to its consumers and animal welfare stakeholders about providing products that meet the BCC standards. Saying that at present, in its EU business, around 25% of the Dutch production chain existed of slow growing breeds.
“In the short-term a trial is being conducted to assess consumer demand via limited volumes over the next 12-18 months. Once consumer feedback has been obtained, the Boparan Group is committed to increased volumes to meet full retailer and food service customer requirements by 2026 and provide the necessary agriculture, processing and packing facilities to meet this demand for those retailers and food service customers who wish to commit to delivering this in the future,” it added.
Driving higher animal welfare
Retailers and producer groups are leading the way in driving forward positive animal welfare changes across all animal production sectors.
In terms of its laying hens business, the company said birds were reared in conditions that complied with EU and source country Farm Animal Welfare legislation as a minimum. 100% of the whole/shell eggs and liquid eggs are from a UK RSPCA Assured and British Egg Industry Council Lion Code assured scheme. No birds are given either growth promoters or routine prophylactic antibiotics for disease prevention.
It added that: