Three-year-old girl dies of E.coli

10-08-2007 | |

A 3-year-old girl in Osaka, Japan, who was infected with the O-157 strain of E.coli bacteria died earlier this week, the government confirmed.

The child attended a nursery school, which is apparently not authorised by the city, where four other children between 10 months and five years were also infected. Two were hospitalised, while the other two are recovering at home.
The girl was hospitalised with severe stomach pains and diarrhoea. According to officials, the she died of multiple organ failure as a result of brain damage.
It is suspected that all five were fed the same food at the school, but investigations are underway to detwrmine whether the source of infection was from outside the school.

More about